Roanne and Return

Three days getting there from Diou; three days RnR at Roanne; two days back to Digoin, although maybe the RnR was more Rock n Roll than Rest n Relaxation because we picked up 17-yearolds Keeva and Abi while in Roanne!


So it started calmly enough – in fact very gentle and peaceful; we liked it! We came form Diou and did a smart turn to starboard into the Roanne to Digoin canal, 56kms.

The first lock, going up, was automatic; “are we know all about this”, we thought. Then the next included an éclusier who let us know they would be with us at the third – Chassenard – a 6m deep lock (gulp!).

The lock has interesting old hooks on the wall that barges used to use for their ropes and gradually move up, or down, with the water. These days the éclusier lowers a rope with a hook on it to take your rope up, out of sights, and round a bollard on the quay; very civilised.

La Beaume mooring
La Beaume mooring

After three locks, and a later than usual start from Diou, we decided to moor up at la Beaume. The official quay was full, but a well placed one of trees acted as an additional series of mooring posts and we soon tied up in the glancing evening sunlight.

A stroll after supper led to the surprise discovery of a stork in a field, hoovering up grain spilt during a recent harvesting.  These were the prelude to seeing 14 storks stocking up in another field the next day. We are just not used to storks! Wow!

le Beaume evening sky


The light was magical, with mini rainbows flickering among the sunset clouds.






Next day was to be a 20km day to Artaix, rising up through (what we thought was) the deepest lock in the French waterway network. It turns our that there are even deeper ones in store on La Rhone – more of that in weeks to come.

There was much to see along the way – such a variety of buildings, bridges, glimpses of La Loire and insect/butterfly life.


All of this relaxed us for the expected excitement ahead – rising up in our first 7.2 metre lock, Bourg-Le-Compte. That’s 23 and a half feet – the height of a house.

As we got closer we noticed as the giant downstream doors opened that only the bottom half of each door moved.  We could see at the end of the cavernous chamber water already pouring in through various leaks and, as we got closer, slimy ladders reaching skywards on each wall.

The éclusier pulled our ropes up on his hook and we held on tight for the elevation. It was a very smooth ride; we emerged 20 foot up, and glided out to the next pound.

We passed a nice mooring in a basin just outside Artaix and continued to our anticipated mooring closer to the village …. oh no! The map had misled us, and the mooring place we were aiming for did not exist; it was behind us in the nice basin!

So we left that one for our return trip, and carried on to Les Poteaux, jumping ashore with stakes and a hammer to moor by a bridge. We had a noisy evening (neighbours!) but from 10pm a quiet night, waking to another blue sky summer morning.

Just the run up to Roanne to do now – easy n a day; 26 kms and 3 locks. Along the way we saw the big bridge over La Loire to Iguerande, with Mailly on the hill beyond, and the tight squeeze Pont Dupian just after; all definitely worth a visit next time! But this time we have to arrive, shop, hire car and collect grand-daughter plus friend.

Potteaux after

By mid-morning we were going past Briennon – what an attractive little port! But with nowhere to easily moor we thought we would carry on through the next two locks before éclusier déjeuner time. We ate as we motored and pleasingly arrived at the lock into Roanne port just before 1pm.

After a short wait we were up and into the port, with directions towards a mooring space towards the far end.

That evening there was music in the market place so after a wander round town to admire some old buildings and amazing trompe d’oeil we sat by the fountain listening to the music and watching the crowds.

Flybe flight arrives form Southampton.

After a day of rest and pottering it was Saturday and we were off to rediscover other modes of transport!  The hire car, a modest Nissan Micra, ‘cheapest-you’ve got’, went so fast after our pedestrian 6km per hour for the past 4 months. And seeing planes arrive and depart at the airport was a stark, noisy, reminder of the life outside the canal network.

If you have read Keeva and Abi’s blog about their days on the boat, this may seem a bit similar, but then we were on the same boat.

The girls plan was to get a tan; simple. Except as we drove back from the airport the storm clouds gathered ……..




….. and once back on the boat a massive electric storm hit Roanne – rain, thunder and lightning all around us.  I could sense the disappointment emanating from the girls.



Sort of lardy cake studded with pink pralines


Next day was cloudy, but dry so they put on their shorts ready for the sun.  We set out for the obligatory croissants and pain au chocolat for breakfast, plus the Roanne yummy speciality ‘La Pralaline” – a chintzy looking pink confection that is much nicer than it looks!



Then a walk round town to choose a restaurant for K&A to eat at that evening. It was Sunday. Roxanne has a very traditional attitude to Sunday! Just about everything – shops, cafés, bars, museums – was shut!

But Keeva has fun ion the fountains, and we did find one restaurant that was open Sunday evening; the girls photographed the menu so that they could translate it back on the boat.

A&K at Roanne Plage

We walked round the port, dropping in at Roanne Plage, a place whose name had offered spot much fun, but is actually a large sandpit with a café and a fountain.

Things looked up that afternoon. The sun came out and we went to the outdoor pool, with water slides, flumes, lots of water, and virtually no other people!

That evening they went out for their meal while Stu and I prepared for the next day’s cruise.

The return trip

Quite amusing to travel back on he same waterway, but this time in the company of two lively teenagers.

It was still and quiet during the day as they took in the sun and began to achieve their tanning objective.

Bit more hectic when we went for a countryside stroll in the evening, round the sleepy, scarecrow invaded, village of Artaix.

Getting back to the actual journey …. having set off at 10 we stopped at Briennon for lunch. There is a wonderful dinosaur of a crane on the quayside, interesting buildings and a view out to distant hills.

North of Briennon

The canal passes through gentle countryside with enough straight stretches for the girls to take driving lessons from the Captain – even I had took the wheel for a change.

We moored up at the Artaix basin that we had missed on the way up – and it was as lovely as it had looked, though quite busy with boats and camper vans.

Artaix basin mooring

After supper we went on the aforementioned scarecrow walk, and found other points of interest in Artaix.

They have an old weigh bridge, complete with the weigh master’s little office, weights and scales. And  in Fenruary 1933 the canal collapsed near Artaix – a major catastrophe. We walked back via a footpath and bridge over L’Arçon river, quite small at this point.

Next morning broke bright and sunny. We were off to complete the canal and get round the corner to Digoin.

Random old artefacts kept me amused as usual.

Then we were back at our 7.2m lock, this time to go down, with the girls decorating the foredeck. Stu got the chance to step off and help with the gates; I got the chance to photograph the turning mechanism of the gates!

The canal from Bourg-Le-Compte to the end was peaceful and pleasant, passing by our night’s mooring form a few days ago near Le Baume, and gradually working our way up to join the Canal du Centre.

To be faithful to the title of this bloglet I should end here, but with just 36 hours left of the girl’s sojourn with us I am including a little of those last hours.


We had an evening’s mooring just outside Digoin, but close enough to walk in over the amazing viaduct and have a beer in the centre together.

IMG_1420And then our last day voyaging together, over the viaduct, up to Paray-Le-Monial. It was another blisteringly hot day with plenty of sunbathing opportunities, and another outdoor pool to enjoy in Paray once we arrived.

That evening we went out together in the warm sunshine, taking a quick tour of Paray’s lovely buildings, stopping off at a bar or a drink (once the kids chose what they wanted!), and then a meal to suit us all overlooking the river and the Basilica.

It would not be complete without the famous Oreo photo, and the cat who looked on.

It was helpful, fun and lively having this two on board. Sorry to say goodbye.




Published by lesley-jane

Wife of Stewart, mother of 3, Granny of 6 (yes, I am happy to define myself by my family; I value them more than anything), and living abroad Calliope, our replica Dutch Barge, currently cruising the inland waterways of France, Belgium and The Netherlands. Retired from a couple of enjoyable careers, and now being closer to the real, outdoor me. Love water, fascinated by animals, enjoy music, support Pompey and try to find fun in all parts of my life.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: